What causes us to be fatigued? A lack of sleep is one culprit. If you don’t get enough sleep at night, you will be exhausted the next day, walking around in a brain fog that makes functioning difficult.
What can interfere with getting a good night’s sleep?
• Heat: Sleeping in rooms that are too hot or wearing tight clothes can pose a problem.
• Sex: Being in a new relationship can be wonderful but it also can hurt sleep.
• Sweets: Too many carbs, starches, sugars, and desserts before bedtime may also inhibit the quality of your sleep and cause fatigue.
• Family addition: Having a newborn in the house will change your sleeping habits instantly and rob you of those precious eight hours.
• Working odd shifts: Night workers report less sleep than people with regular 9-5 jobs.
• Sleeping pills: Are you addicted to sleeping pills? Bad sleep habits will cause most doctors to give you sleeping pills, and once you are addicted to them you cannot sleep without them. When you take them, you are fatigued and feel like a zombie in the morning.
• Late-night TV: Do you watch late-night television? If you do and leave the TV on, you don’t get important REM sleep, wake up tired, and walk around in a fog all day.
• Snoring partner: Does your partner snore and wake you up all night long? You will certainly be fatigued if you don’t get out of the bedroom or get him or her out. Sleep is sacred and intimacy is not reduced when you make sure you get enough sleep. In fact, if you are not fatigued, you are more likely to have sex than if you are tired.
• Stress: Many of us live stressful lives that leave us drained and fatigued. Work worries, personal life concerns, and family and social issues contribute to keeping us hypervigilant and stressed to the max. As a result, our minds keep working at night while we lie in bed and we wake up exhausted in the morning.
• Weight problems and diets: The constant dieting rollercoaster many of us are on as we try to lose those extra 10 pounds also can be problematic. The diet alone will cause fatigue and the weight will make us tired as well.
• Overexercising: Are you constantly exercising in an effort to keep that youthful body looking great? Do you think that will leave you fatigued? It will. And just giving up and becoming sedentarywill not only cause weight gain, but you also will become too tired to exercise, and that leads to faster aging.
As you can see, you don’t have to be diagnosed with an illness to be fatigued. We can take an objective look at our lives to make sure we change the things we can control that cause fatigue.
© 2023 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.