Sen. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., denounced AT&T DirecTV's deplatforming of Newsmax from its television platform, saying his state's constituents are being denied a "key conservative voice."
"As the 4th highest-rated cable news channel on television, @Newsmax is a key conservative voice for American families," Mullin tweeted Saturday morning.
"Oklahomans deserve to hear from all points of view. #Newsmax must not be silenced!"
Mullin, a popular former Congressmen, won election as the state’s U.S. Senator last November.
Call DirecTV to cancel at 877-763-9762
Newsmax, the nation's fourth highest-rated cable news channel watched by 25 million Americans, according to Nielsen, was deplatformed AT&T DirecTV this past Tuesday.
The operator claimed it was a "cost-cutting" move. AT&T DirecTV made a similar claim last year when it deplatformed OAN.
Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy called the deplatforming of Newsmax "a blatant act of censorship," and noted DirecTV continues to carry 22 liberal news channels, many with low ratings and all getting hefty license fees.
Mullin joins a growing list of U.S. Senators criticizing AT&T DirecTV for their censorship of Newsmax, including Sens. Ted Cruz, R-Texas; Tom Cotton, R-Ark; Mike Lee, R-Utah; Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.; Rick Scott, R-Fla.; Rand Paul, R-Ky.; Joni Ernst, R-Iowa; and Ron Johnson, R-Wis.
On Thursday, the Washington Times ripped DirecTV's removal of Newsmax removal from some 13.5 million homes earlier this week, "the latest attempt" from the left to censor conservative voices.
AT&T owns 70% of DirecTV, but works with TPG, a financial firm with strong ties to the Democratic Party, to operate the system.
Congressional Republicans were already scrutinizing AT&T's and TPG's role in the deplatforming of OAN from their systems.
Earlier this week former President Donald Trump called AT&T/DirecTV's canceling of Newsmax "disgusting."
He urged supporters to cancel both DirecTV and other AT&T products, including their wireless and cellular services.
Actions to Take Now
1. DirecTV customers: Call them toll free at 877-763-9762 and demand they bring NEWSMAX back on air. President Donald Trump urges you CANCEL!
- Important: If DirecTV tells you we are still negotiating, that is a lie! They have told NEWSMAX we will never be on a regular cable channel. DirecTV also replaced NEWSMAX with a channel that has no news and no ratings. Also, NEWSMAX's livestream is ending soon on other platforms, so unless you get it on DirecTV, you will have to cancel their service.
2. AT&T customers: Call toll free at 888-855-2338, for any of their cellphones, wireless products, or services, and demand they end their censorship of NEWSMAX. President Trump has urged you to cancel their services.
3. Call your congressman or senator at 202-224-3121 and demand they stop AT&T/DirecTV's censorship of NEWSMAX — ask them to give you a date on the hearings!
4. Go to our online petition and get more info at: IWantNewsmax.com.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.