Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz reportedly has evidence that indicates former FBI Director James Comey misled President Donald Trump about him being the target of an investigation.
According to RealClearInvestigations, Horowitz will soon file a report that contains evidence Comey repeatedly assured the president he was not the target of an investigation even as Comey was working on a "counterintelligence assessment" of Trump during that time, according to two unidentified U.S. officials who were briefed on the report. They also said Comey had been essentially "running a covert operation against" Trump that began with a one-on-one "defense briefing" he gave Trump a few weeks before his inauguration.
The officials said Horowitz has found evidence for this after reviewing FBI communications, including text messages. Other unnamed officials told RealClearInvestigations that Comey received information about Trump and his aides from an agent inside the White House.
Horowitz is reportedly focusing on one briefing Comey gave Trump on Jan. 6, 2017, about some of the material found in the dossier compiled by former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele.
The Inspector General's report is set for release in early September, and will contain Horowitz's findings after reviewing more than 1 million records and conducting over 100 interviews, including with Comey himself and other current and former FBI and Justice Department officials.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.