Roughly three dozen Canadian geese at a pond in upstate New York died from a fungal disease linked to moldy bread or grain, New York State environmental officials told the Malone Telegram Thursday.
The birds had died as a result of aspergillosis, a fungus which grows in the animals’ lungs and air sacs, causing respiratory distress and, death by suffocation.
“Aspergillosis is a fungal disease specific to waterfowl that is caused by ingesting moldy grain or bread,” the DEC said. “Aspergillosis is not contagious and does not present a health risk to humans.”
The DEC is asking the public to not feed the ducks or geese in the park.
“The agency is also asking farmers to keep grain piles covered and to dispose of moldy grain, silage, straw or hay by burial and not by spreading over land. Ducks and geese must be discouraged from using areas where moldy agricultural products have accumulated."
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.