Skip to main content
Tags: u.s | military | injured | drone | attacks | mideast | iran

24 US Service Members Were Injured in Drone Attacks

By    |   Tuesday, 24 October 2023 06:56 PM EDT

Two dozen military service members suffered minor injuries in multiple drone attacks on U.S. bases in the Mideast last week, NBC News reported Tuesday.

Further, U.S. and coalition forces were attacked at least 13 separate times last week — seven of those in Iraq — according to the report. NBC News cited U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM).

While the Pentagon acknowledged the attacks and the U.S. military response to intercept the drones and rockets when they first happened, this is the first report of injuries to personnel.

Twenty of those service members were injured in a drone attack on al-Tanf military base in southern Syria, according to the report. Another four were wounded in two drone attacks on al-Asad base in western Iraq the same day, CENTCOM told NBC News.

All 24 of the injured returned to active duty. In both cases the drones were shot down, but debris from one destroyed a hangar housing small aircraft in Iraq, CENTCOM told NBC News.

It was previously reported that an American civilian contractor died of a cardiac incident during one of the attacks while sheltering in place.

The news comes the same day that Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned Iran and its proxy militias in the Mideast that the U.S. would respond "swiftly and decisively" against any attacks in the region.

Also last week, the Iran-backed Houthis launched five Iranian cruise missiles toward Israel, four of which were shot down by the USS Carney and the fifth by Saudi Arabia.

Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder on Tuesday fingered Iran and its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in the uptick of attacks.

"What we are seeing is the prospect for more significant escalation against U.S. forces and personnel across the region in the very near term coming from Iranian proxy forces, and ultimately from Iran," Ryder said.

Blinken served notice to Iran and its proxies about further attacks.

"The United States does not seek conflict with Iran. We do not want this war to widen. But if Iran or its proxies attack U.S. personnel anywhere, make no mistake. We will defend our people, we will defend our security — swiftly and decisively," Blinken said Tuesday during a U.N. Security Council session.

Blinken also solicited the help of Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, urging him during a meeting Monday to pursue those behind last week's attacks, the State Department said.

Mark Swanson

Mark Swanson, a Newsmax writer and editor, has nearly three decades of experience covering news, culture and politics.

© 2024 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Newsfront
Two dozen military service members suffered minor injuries in multiple drone attacks on U.S. bases in the Mideast last week, NBC News reported Tuesday.
u.s, military, injured, drone, attacks, mideast, iran, houthis, israel, antony blinken
396
2023-56-24
Tuesday, 24 October 2023 06:56 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the NewsmaxTV App
Get the NewsmaxTV App for iOS Get the NewsmaxTV App for Android Scan QR code to get the NewsmaxTV App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved