President Donald Trump has filed an appeal of a federal court ruling that said he could not block people from his Twitter feed because it violated their constitutional rights, Politico is reporting.
The Justice Department filed papers with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on Monday night, according to Politico. The appeal was filed on behalf of Trump and Dan Scavino, White House social media director.
It comes after a ruling by U.S. District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald in May that said Trump may not legally block Twitter users because it violated their right to free speech.
Buchwald ruled that discussions coming from Trump's tweets should be considered a public forum.
Last year, Justice Department attorney Michael Baer wrote the case would push the First Amendment into "unchartered waters" if federal courts dictated what a president could or could not do on a website, Politico noted.
"It would send the First Amendment deep into uncharted waters to hold that a president's choices about whom to follow, and whom to block, on Twitter — a privately run website that, as a central feature of its social-media platform, enables all users to block particular individuals from viewing posts — violate the Constitution," Michael Baer wrote in August 2017.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.