Democrat Jon Ossoff is given a 55 percent chance of winning against Republican Karen Handel in the special election for the House seat in Georgia, according to an online survey conducted in The Washington Post.
The newspaper invited readers to forecast who will win in the race.
"Over the past 10 days, there have been almost 150 forecasts for this race," John Sides, an associate professor of political science at George Washington University wrote in The Post.
"The current estimate is that it's very close, with a 55 percent chance for Ossoff and 45 percent for Handel.
"That is essentially a coin flip. The narrowing of the forecast during this period mirrors the narrowing in the polls.
Most polls have shown the two candidates deadlocked going into Election Day, Sides said.
The campaign has seen about $50 million spent promoting the candidates — making it the most expensive House race in the nation's history, Time magazine reported.
Democrats are hoping a win could throw the GOP off balance ahead of the 2018 midterm elections and be the first step toward reclaiming a majority in the House, the magazine noted.
And Sides said: "Republicans obviously want to hold the seat, but even more, they need a decisive victory to stem the perception that they are heading into a very difficult 2018 midterm."
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.