RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel slammed AT&T's DirecTV for censorship in sharply worded statement released to the press Wednesday.
"DirecTV's decision to censor Newsmax — the fourth-highest rated program on cable TV — is a slap in the face to the voters who pay the network's bills," McDaniel said.
"The fact that DirecTV continues to support and pay full fees for smaller, hard-left networks shows that this is yet another instance of clear bias against conservatives."
McDaniel's statement in support for Newsmax comes after Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., and 17 congressmen took the House floor to Tuesday, castigating AT&T DirecTV for deplatforming Newsmax.
House Republicans vowed to conduct oversight, if not deliver accountability and legislative action against the Big Tech companies that move to engage in political discrimination.
"I applaud House Republicans for taking important steps to hold DirecTV accountable for their censorship of Republican voices: Our system only works when all political viewpoints can be discussed and debated without fear of punishment," McDaniel's statement concluded.
DirecTV said it was taking Newsmax off its service as a "cost-cutting" measure — a similar claim made after it deplatformed OAN last year.
DirecTV continues to carry 22 liberal news channels, many with low ratings, and all get paid hefty license fees. Newsmax was seeking a small fee, as the nation's fourth highest-rated cable news channel.
Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, joined by Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Mike Lee, R-Utah, released a letter Wednesday demanding to know why DirecTV treated Newsmax differently than all other cable news channels.
Newsmax CEO Christopher Ruddy said removal of his network was a "blatant act of political censorship."
Actions to Take Now
1. DirecTV customers: Call them toll free at 877-763-9762 and demand they bring NEWSMAX back on air. President Donald Trump urges you CANCEL!
- Important: If DirecTV tells you we are still negotiating, that is a lie! They have told NEWSMAX we will never be on a regular cable channel. DirecTV also replaced NEWSMAX with a channel that has no news and no ratings. Also, NEWSMAX's livestream is ending soon on other platforms, so unless you get it on DirecTV you will have to cancel their service.
2. AT&T customers: Call toll free at 888-855-2338, for any of their cellphones, wireless products, or services, and demand they end their censorship of NEWSMAX. President Trump has urged you to cancel their services.
3. Call your congressman or senator at 202-224-3121 and demand they stop AT&T/DirecTV's censorship of NEWSMAX — ask them to give you a date on the hearings!
4. Go to our online petition and get more info at: iWantNewsmax.com.
Eric Mack ✉
Eric Mack has been a writer and editor at Newsmax since 2016. He is a 1998 Syracuse University journalism graduate and a New York Press Association award-winning writer.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.