White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus says there is no evidence that members of President Trump's campaign had "constant contact" with Russia before Trump's victory.
"The New York Times last week put out an article with no direct sources that said that the Trump campaign had constant contacts with Russian spies," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday." He repeated the charge on NBC's "Meet the Press."
The story was "wrong," adding "there's nothing to it," Priebus said.
"I can assure you, and I've been approved to say this, that the top levels of the intelligence community have assured me that that story is not only inaccurate but it's grossly overstated."
"If I can say that to the American people, then what does it say about this story?" he asked.
The New York Times wrote about numerous intercepted phone calls and phone records showing frequent contacts between several Trump aides and known members of Russian intelligence throughout the campaign. The exact identities of these individuals were not revealed in the Times article.
Priebus called the Times story "garbage." He said he had been repeatedly been assured by high-level intelligence sources that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.