A majority of registered voters side with Republican governors over "hypocritical" sanctuary city policies, according to a new RMG Research poll.
Voters side with GOP governors by a 2-to-1 margin, saying sending migrants from the souther border to sanctuary cities was justified, The Washington Times reported.
Also, more than 60% of registered voters say it was "hypocritical" for a city to claim to be a sanctuary and ultimately complain when red-state governors send them illegal immigrants, according to the poll conducted for the American First Policy Institute.
"Sending illegal immigrants to sanctuary cities is politically popular," the poll analysis concluded, according to the Times.
Florida GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis, Texas GOP Gov. Greg Abbott, and Arizona GOP Gov. Doug Ducey have been active in sending migrants out of their states to sanctuary cities in northern Democrat-run areas, including DeSantis sending nearly 50 Venezuelans to liberal bastion Martha's Vineyard a week before the poll was conducted.
President Joe Biden has rebuked the busing of migrants to sanctuary cities as "simply wrong; it's un-American, it's reckless."
"We have a process in place to manage migrants at the border," Biden said, the Times reported. "We're working to make sure it's safe and orderly and humane. Republican officials should not interfere with that process by waging these political stunts."
GOP governors and a majority of registered voters disagree with Biden, according RMG Research:
- 55% approved of busing migrants to sanctuary cities.
- 63% of all voters agreed busing was the only way to draw attention to the border crisis, while just 25% disagreed.
- More than 60% of voters believe drug cartels have control of the border, while just 19% say U.S. government is in full control.
- 54% doubt the administration is serious about securing the border and curbing illegal immigration, while 28% say the Biden administration is trying.
- 63% say border states need help on mass migration, while just 24% say those border states have to deal with it on their own.
Since overwhelmed GOP-led states have been ignored by the Biden administration and started shipping the border crisis to the northern blue states, sanctuary city leaders are now sending pleas for federal funds to handle the mass migration from the southern border — an issue that has never before been one for northern states, the Times reported.
RMG Research for the America First Policy Institute polled 1,200 registered voters, and the results had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.