Forty-four percent of likely voters support a generic Democratic candidate for president, compared to 36 percent who back the re-election of Donald Trump, a new Politico/Morning Consult poll reveals.
Here is how the poll breaks down:
- 79 percent of Republicans would vote for Trump, while 7 percent would back the generic Democratic candidate.
- 82 percent of Democrats would choose the generic Democrat, compared to 8 percent who would vote for Trump.
- 35 percent of independents would vote for the Democratic candidate, while 29 percent would support Trump.
- 43 percent of all those polled approve of Trump's job performance, compared to 53 percent who disapprove.
- 44 percent say they would vote for a Democratic candidate for Congress, compared to 37 percent who would support a Republican.
"Trump supporters are lukewarm about voting for any Republican presidential candidate other than Donald Trump," said Kyle Dropp, Morning Consult's co-founder.
"Notably, 80 percent of Trump voters say they would vote for Trump over a generic Democrat, but only 54 percent of Trump voters say the same about a generic GOP candidate over a generic Democrat."
The poll, conducted March 1-5, surveyed 1,993 registered voters. The margin of error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.