President Donald Trump’s removal from office is still favored by a slim plurality of voters, but support for his ouster continues to decline, according to a new Politico/Morning Consult poll.
The latest poll found 47% of voters back Trump’s removal, compared to 45% who are opposed to it.
An earlier poll, conducted after the House voted to impeach the president last month, had found that 52% backed his removal, while 43% were opposed. And a poll conducted earlier this month revealed 49% in favor of Trump’s removal with 43% opposed.
Here are how the results of the latest poll, released Wednesday, break down:
- 57% say the Senate should call additional witnesses to testify during Trump’s trial, compared to 24% who say senators should not.
- 38% say they approve of the way congressional Republicans have handled impeachment proceedings, while 46% disapprove.
- 43% say they approve of the way congressional Democrats have handled the impeachment proceedings, compared to 46% who do not.
- 62% say they plan to watch all or some of the impeachment trial, while 30% do not.
- 43% approve of the job Trump is doing as president, compared to 53% who disapprove.
The poll, conducted Jan. 17-19, surveyed 1,997 registered voters. The margin of error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.