Donald Trump has been launching personal-style attacks against Hillary and Bill Clinton because "his own record is coming under scrutiny," Clinton campaign spokesman Brian Fallon said Tuesday.
"In two of the years we've seen some of his records in terms of the taxes he paid, he paid zero dollars in taxes," Fallon told CNN's New Day" program
. "In 2006, 2007, he was rooting for the housing bubble to burst. These two things together tell you that when he goes out there and tries to position himself as a champion of working class Americans, he is conning them."
Fallon said Trump has "telegraphed" the attack plans for several months, and the Clinton campaign is clear that the allegations will continue from now until the general election.
"These are old allegations that were litigated decades ago, and I just don't think they're going to work," said Fallon. "Even Republicans are advising him against this. Rick Wilson, who is a Republican consultant, who is no fan of Hillary Clinton, has said that on behalf of a client he was working for earlier this cycle, they tested these lines of attack, and found they alienated independent voters, including women."
Fox News' Bill O'Reilly also Monday night suggested to Trump not to follow the same line of attack
, said Fallon.
"If he wants to keep talking about these old allegations, it will deprive him of the opportunity to make the gains he needs to with critical voting blocks, including female voters, who he is doing so poorly with," Fallon said of Trump.
Meanwhile, he said the Clinton campaign is not interested in returning fire at Trump against his own history with women.
"We're not interested in waging this campaign in the gutter," said Fallon. "The issues are too important to ignore."
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.