Skip to main content
Tags: Cantor | immigration | poll | amnesty

Poll: Cantor's Amnesty Support Cost Him GOP Primary

Poll: Cantor's Amnesty Support Cost Him GOP Primary

Thursday, 19 June 2014 10:45 AM EDT

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s support of immigration amnesty fueled tea party candidate Dave Brat’s stunning victory in last week's Virginia’s GOP primary, a new poll shows.

The Silver Bullet survey reveals that 12 percent of voters said it was the "main reason" they voted for Cantor’s opponent while 40 percent said it was a "significant part" in their decision, a total of 52 percent.

The poll also showed that 26 percent of the voters "changed from Brat to Cantor in the final two weeks," following attacks on the congressman by conservative talk radio hosts Laura Ingraham and Mark Levin for Cantor’s support of immigration legislation, according to Breitbart News.

In the two weeks before the June 10 primary, hordes of illegal immigrant children poured across the border in south Texas, and after being rounded up by Border Control agents they were sent to Arizona and military bases, outraging opponents of comprehensive immigration reform.

The ensuing humanitarian crisis involving the undocumented minors heightened fears of amnesty and helped Brat win the election, Breitbart News said, adding that the poll disproves claims by potential GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush and others that immigration was not a factor in Cantor’s loss

The research also found that 22 percent of Brat voters said "immigration/amnesty" was the primary reason they voted for him. The other issues influencing Brat voters included leadership (20 percent), government spending (23 percent), and privacy and government surveillance (2 percent).

The study also showed that tea party voters made up 55 percent of the electorate while Brat received 71 percent of their vote.

Silver Bullet conducted the survey on June 18 and its margin of error was 3.4 percentage points.

© 2024 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Politics
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's support of immigration amnesty fueled tea party candidate Dave Brat's stunning victory in Virginia's GOP primary, a new poll shows.
Cantor, immigration, poll, amnesty
281
2014-45-19
Thursday, 19 June 2014 10:45 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the NewsmaxTV App
Get the NewsmaxTV App for iOS Get the NewsmaxTV App for Android Scan QR code to get the NewsmaxTV App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved