Former President Donald Trump is pushing back on New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s effort to oust the Trump Organization as operator of an 18-hole Bronx golf course.
In a statement on his website, Trump accused de Blasio of trying to “confiscate" Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point "from me for no reason, whatsoever and terminate my long-term arrangement with the city.”
In the days after the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, de Blasio tried to void all of Trump’s contracts with the city. Trump Organization sued in June, saying the city had wrongly terminated a lucrative golf course contract for political reasons, the New York Times reported.
In the latest filing in the case, Trump Organization lawyers say business at the golf course has “thrived” since the Capitol attack, reaping in a record $8 million so far this year, The City reported.
“The course has received rave reviews, is considered one of the top ten open to the public facilities in the United States (could even be the best!), is designed for tournament play,” Trump said in his statement.
“And Mayor De Blasio wants to take it away after all of the work was so successfully done, and so much money was spent. So unfair—this is what happens in Communist Countries, not in America!”
Trump argued that at the request of former Mayor Mike Bloomberg he took “a longtime scandal-ridden site in the Bronx, which for almost 30 years had been a money-losing disaster that the city could not get built, and transformed it into a magnificent Jack Nicklaus Signature designed golf course, club house and amenities, which employs a large number of people and has been a showcase of beauty and success. “
“I invested many millions of dollars, all cash, in this project in order to get it done, which I did, starting from scratch, in record time,” his statement continued. “It was an amazing effort by many people pulling together to finally revitalize this troubled part of New York City. It was a large-scale version of the Wollman Skating Rink in Central Park, which I saved many years ago.”
Trump’s team has said the only thing that will get it to drop its legal bid to keep control of the public course is a $30 million payout from New York City taxpayers, according to The City.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.