More than half of Democrats — 57% — agree with the statement that the Constitution "is a document rooted in racism," according to a new poll by Rasmussen Reports and the Heartland Institute.
By comparison, 84% of Republicans, 38% of Democrats, and 60% of independents disagree with calling the Constitution a racist document.
Results of the poll, released on Wednesday:
- 64% of Democrats agree with the statement that the Constitution "is a sexist document that gives men advantages over women."
- 77% of Republicans, 33% of Democrats, and 59% of independents disagree with calling the Constitution a sexist document.
- 49% of Democrats said the Constitution "should be mostly or completely rewritten."
- 77% of Republicans, 47% of Democrats and 63% of independents disagree with rewriting the Constitution.
- 89% of Republicans have at least a somewhat favorable opinion of the Constitution, compared to 74% of Democrats and 80% of independents.
"The Constitution has served as the bedrock for liberty in America for more than 230 years," said Heartland Institute research fellow Donald Kendal. "To see these poll results, where half of Democrats want to see the Constitution 'mostly or completely rewritten,' is disheartening."
The poll, conducted July 6-7, surveyed 1.025 likely voters. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.
Jeffrey Rodack ✉
Jeffrey Rodack, who has nearly a half century in news as a senior editor and city editor for national and local publications, has covered politics for Newsmax for nearly seven years.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.