Former presidential adviser Peter Navarro said he hadn't decided whether to appear before a federal grand jury Thursday, it was reported.
Navarro, who advised then-President Donald Trump, revealed in a court filing Tuesday afternoon that he had been subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury this week as part of the Justice Department's sprawling probe into the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack.
"Former Trump aide Peter Navarro tells me it is 'to be determined' as to whether he would appear before a federal grand jury tomorrow," Fox News reporter Chad Pergram tweeted Wednesday morning. "Navarro has also filed suit against the House, contesting the 1/6 committee, its subpoena [to which he failed to comply], and has now been held in contempt of Congress in connection with the inquiry into last year's riot."
Navarro, who was a trade adviser to Trump, said he was served by the FBI at his Washington, D.C., house last week.
CNN reported it was the first indication the DOJ was acting on the criminal referral from the House of Representatives to hold Trump's one-time confidante in contempt of Congress for his refusal to cooperate with the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack.
In an 88-page filing Tuesday, the 72-year-old Navarro filed suit against Congress claiming the House select committee is unlawful and therefore a subpoena it issued to him in February is unenforceable under law.
USA Today reported that Democrat Speaker Nancy Pelosi's Jan. 6 select committee – comprised of Democrats and two anti-Trump Republicans -- subpoenaed Navarro for testimony about a plan called the "Green Bay Sweep" to delay certification of President Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 election.
Navarro described the plan in his book "In Trump Time" as the "last, best chance to snatch a stolen election from the Democrats' jaws of deceit."
Navarro, who's representing himself in the lawsuit, called the strategy legal and constitutional under the 1887 Electoral Count Act.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.