Skip to main content
Tags: migrants | attack | nypd | plea | deals | times square | assault

Migrants in NYPD Attack Offered Plea Deals

By    |   Wednesday, 15 May 2024 10:27 AM EDT

Six migrants charged with attacking New York City police officers in January were offered plea deals on Tuesday, the New York Post reported.

During a court appearance, it was also revealed that one of the migrants had been arrested again while out on bail.

Six young adults identified as asylum-seekers were arrested following the alleged assault of two police officers near Times Square, ABC News reported on Jan. 31.

Video showed the youths kicking the police officers in the head and body before running away.

One of those charged — Yohenry Brito, 24 — was arrested last week for petit larceny after an activist Brooklyn priest posted his $15,000 cash bail in February.

Although the Manhattan district attorney's office requested $10,000 cash bail, a judge set him free at his Saturday arraignment.

"I am furious that Mr. Brito was rearrested and charged with petty larceny while he was out on this case," Judge Laura Wood said in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday, the Post reported.

"I am very tempted right now to put you in jail. I am telling you right now, if I learn you are rearrested for anything at all between now and this case being finished, I will order a warrant, and I will place bail so high, you will not get out."

Wood then emphasized her message.

"If you jaywalk, if you jump a turnstile, if you do anything at all, and I have to issue a warrant, you will not see the light of day until this case is over," Wood said.

The judge asked whether Brito understood what she had said. After her comments were translated for him by an interpreter, Brito answered: "Yes."

Brito, Ulises Bohorquez, 21, and Andres Gomez-Izquiel, 19, were offered plea deals by the Manhattan DA's office. The proposed deal stipulated the three would serve a year in jail in exchange for pleading guilty to second-degree assault, the Post reported.

Two other migrants, Kelvin Servita Arocha, 19, and Wilson Juarez, 21, have been offered a separate deal to serve six months in prison for pleading guilty to obstructing a government administration. Both are alleged members of the notorious Venezuelan street gang Tren de Aragua.

Yorman Reveron, 24, was offered a deal that would result in two years in prison for pleading guilty to second-degree assault.

The Post said the defendants' attorneys had not yet accepted the plea deals.

No plea deal has been offered yet to a seventh migrant, 20-year-old Edgarlis Vegas.

Charlie McCarthy

Charlie McCarthy, a writer/editor at Newsmax, has nearly 40 years of experience covering news, sports, and politics.

© 2024 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Newsfront
Six migrants charged with attacking New York City police officers in January were offered plea deals on Tuesday, the New York Post reported.
migrants, attack, nypd, plea, deals, times square, assault, asylum-seekers
411
2024-27-15
Wednesday, 15 May 2024 10:27 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the NewsmaxTV App
Get the NewsmaxTV App for iOS Get the NewsmaxTV App for Android Scan QR code to get the NewsmaxTV App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved