Former Trump campaign adviser Michael Caputo, one of the more than 81 people receiving requests for documents through House Democrats, said Wednesday he is "disinclined" to speak before the House Judiciary Committee if he is invited.
"The committee's letter got to me via the media," Caputo told CNN "New Day" co-anchor John Berman. "To my mind, this is a play for headlines. It's a setup for impeachment, and if I'm invited to speak before the committee, I'm going to have to make a decision on that day."
But, Caputo said he is "disinclined" because, at the end of the day, "they're driving my family and dozens of other families into the poor house just because we worked for Donald Trump."
Caputo downplayed a headline in The Washington Post that said he was not going to cooperate, as his attorney did respond to a request for documents with the answer that "we have none of the documents" being sought.
Caputo pointed out he has already testified twice before Congress, and each time that happens it "costs, $20,000 or $30,000."
House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler's office had requested Caputo's contacts between Jan. 1, 2015 through January 2017, including with Trump ally Roger Stone, about whom Caputo had been questioned in the past, and Berman asked about that link.
"I don't think – my attorney didn't think also – that it fit within the parameters of the request," Caputo said.
Sandy Fitzgerald ✉
Sandy Fitzgerald has more than three decades in journalism and serves as a general assignment writer for Newsmax covering news, media, and politics.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.