With late nights, early mornings, and a busy schedule it is easy to bypass the first meal of the day. We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but what benefits does it truly hold for you.
Breakfast literally means breaking a fast. You may not think of sleep as fasting but that is what your body is doing. When you wake up it is ready to be replenished with nutrients that get you going.
Eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism for the day, getting you into calorie-burning mode. That reduces the amount you eat later in the day, which makes you less likely to carry extra weight. It can also help you become more alert and ready to take on the day.
The best part of all of this is you don’t need to make a grand breakfast buffet each morning to reap the benefits. Breakfast can be easy, so you always have a quick bite to eat whether you are at home or at the office.
Finding a way to make breakfast convenient varies from person to person but here are some of my favorites.
• Keep hard boiled eggs on hand. When making dinner, add one more pot to the stove to boil a few eggs you can keep for the week. Try pairing them with some cherry tomatoes and mini bell peppers and cheese for a great quick meal.
• Overnight oats/ refrigerator oatmeal. If you have a few minutes in the evening, you can easily put together a quick ready-to-eat breakfast. Whether you are putting your oatmeal or other breakfast grain in a crockpot to cook and combine with great ingredients while you sleep or you just add oats with some milk and yogurt into an individual jar to sit in the fridge for the night and grab in the morning. This is a great way to eat and run.
• Freezer breakfast burritos. Create a breakfast burrito with all your favorite ingredients including vegetables and assemble them within plastic wrap. These can be kept in your freezer to heat up whenever you need!
Grab and Go Items
Often, our time is really short, so learn about some grocery items that can satisfy your breakfast needs.
• Greek yogurt and granola
• KIND breakfast bars- These new gluten free bars from KIND Snacks are soft-baked with a crispy outside. Each two-bar pack of KIND breakfast bars provides more than one full serving of whole grains and is an excellent source of fiber. They offer sustained energy from a variety of whole grains including five super grains: gluten free oats, millet, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat.
• Heat and eat oatmeal cups
Also become familiar with some healthy options at fast food stops along your commute for the days when things are really hectic.
By fitting in the most important meal of the day you are setting yourself up for long term success and better overall health!
Posts by Kelly Springer, RD
© 2024 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.