Overactive bladder is a condition in which patients suffer from involuntary loss of urine. Urine is produced in the kidney that passes to the bladder. The urine is then excreted through urethra from the bladder. When the muscles of bladder are contracted involuntarily, the patient loses control and suffers from the urge to urinate.
Patients of overactive bladder experience a sudden urge to urinate that is beyond their control. This condition is also known as incontinence. Loss of control on urination can lead to embarrassing situations and can affect social and work life. Patients may experience symptoms, such as urge incontinence, frequent urination, sudden urge to urinate, and being awakened two to three times in the night.
Natural Remedies for Overactive Bladder
There are various treatment options available: medication, bladder injection, sacral nerve stimulation, and surgery. Doctors would advise the right treatment based on the severity of the problem.
Other than these treatment methods, there are natural remedies available that have been found to be beneficial for the treatment of symptoms associated with overactive bladder. The natural remedies are inexpensive and simple to use. The following are some of the natural remedies:
- Water: Intake of plenty of water on a regular basis is one of the natural remedies helpful for the treatment of overactive bladder. Drinking three to four glasses of water on a daily basis is recommended to the patients.
- Maintain healthy weight: Losing extra weight is beneficial for the treatment of overactive bladder. People who are overweight have a higher risk of urinary incontinence. Losing some weight would be one of the beneficial natural remedies.
- Exercise: Exercising is one of the natural remedies that can be helpful in the treatment of overactive bladder. Exercise helps in strengthening the body parts. It helps in controlling urination. Kegel is an exercise that has been found to be very beneficial for the patients.
- Diet Rich in Fiber: Intake of foods rich in fiber such as fresh fruits, bran cereal, whole wheat bread, and beans can be beneficial in the treatment of overactive bladder. Consuming high amount of fiber-rich foods is one of the useful natural remedies.
- Foods to Avoid: Consumption of foods such as spicy foods, tomato products, alcoholic beverages, citrus fruits, coffee, chocolate, etc. should be avoided by the patients of overactive bladder. This diet change is one of the simple natural remedies that would help in the treatment and reduce the symptoms associated with overactive bladder.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking can worsen the condition of overactive bladder patients. Hence, patients should quit smoking. This is one of the natural remedies that can be beneficial for their treatment.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.