A disorder in a part of the nervous system that controls the legs causes patients to feel restlessness or an unpleasant twitching in the legs during sleep. It causes difficulty in sleeping. Restless legs syndrome causes an uncomfortable sensation in the legs and usually leads to interrupted sleep and further anxiety leads to insomnia. RLS can occur in any age group and in patients of either sex. Doctors believe the anxiety during sleep and twitching in legs is linked with genes or that there may be genetic causes for restless legs syndrome.
However, while examining the underlying causes of RLS, the symptoms may be caused due to medication, pregnancy, or some chronic diseases. There are various treatments available for treating the anxiety that causes an intense urge to move the legs during sleep for getting rid of the discomfort and the irritation in legs.
Treatments for Restless Legs Syndrome
The primary cause of anxiety leading to restless legs syndrome is mainly due to a disorder of the nervous system. In this condition, an imbalance in the dopamine level in the brain causes the irritation or unpleasant sensation in legs, which creates anxiety and movement of legs to get rid of the discomfort experienced during sleep. However, some medications and health conditions also cause this syndrome. On noticing any symptom related to RLS, one must consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and for undergoing treatments. Treatments either include medications or pharmacological treatments or may be non-pharmacological, i.e. without needing medications. Some of the top treatments for getting relief from anxiety caused due to the unpleasant sensations during sleep are listed below.
Pharmacological Treatments: Treatments of Restless Legs Syndrome via Medications
Pharmacological treatments for restless legs syndrome use medications to get rid of the various symptoms of this syndrome. Medications for RLS or the symptoms of anxiety during sleep and the sensation of restlessness in legs may include the following:
- Over-the-counter pills for aiding proper sleep
- Anti-nausea tablets like Dramamine and Compazine
- Medications taken as anti-depressants, including Lexapro or Prozac
- Anti-psychotic drugs or the medications prescribed for bipolar disorder
- Pills containing iron salts and calcium channel blockers
- Painkillers like vicodin and oxycodone are also among the common prescribed medications for RLS.
Non-Pharmacological Treatments: Treatments for RLS That Do Not Use Medication
These treatments do not require the use of any medication to treat restless legs syndrome or the anxiety that causes twitching of the legs or insomnia caused by it. Adopting a healthy lifestyle and following some precautions can help counter the symptoms of restless legs syndrome and eradicate the anxiety or severe urge to move the legs to prevent the unpleasant sensations in the legs.
Some steps involved in treatments for RLS without using medication include:
- Daily exercise that includes activities for increased lower-body resistance and aerobics
- Avoiding alcohol, smoking, and caffeine
- Dietary supplements containing iron, vitamin B, folic acid, and magnesium
- Relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation can help fight restless legs syndrome and relieve various symptoms of anxiety that cause difficulty in sleeping
- Wearing socks during sleep to maintain a mild pressure on legs and prevent the uncomfortable sensations
- Keeping a pillow between the legs can help patients get some relief
Following the above medications and steps for getting relief from various symptoms of RLS including anxiety and irritation in legs can help patients control the various causes of restless legs syndrome.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.