Hearing loss is when one fails to hear sounds due to underlying problems like damage in the ear or due to destruction or blockage in the nerves transmitting sounds to the brain. Loud noise can also cause loss of hearing. This sudden hearing loss or noise-induced deafness can cause a condition of ringing ears or tinnitus. In such a case, the sufferer might not be able to hear as the sound fails to enter the inner ear. Based on the reason for the hearing loss, the condition can be categorized as permanent deafness or sudden hearing loss. Deafness caused due to aging is called age-related hearing loss. Hearing loss can occur in adults, children, and even infants.
Treatment for Adults
In case you face difficulty in hearing or feel tinnitus might be occurring, immediately visit a doctor. Ringing ears or tinnitus may cause complex problems if not treated soon. Treatments are also available for deafness caused due to aging or other reasons. Treatment may vary based on age and compatibility for patient. Some common treatments for hearing loss or tinnitus in the ear of an adult include:
Treatment for Children and Infants
- Hearing aids: To enhance weak sound, hearing aids are used for affected persons. These electronic devices pick the outside sounds and amplify them to make it audible for patients suffering from partial hearing loss in either or both ears.
- Surgery: Tinnitus can occur in instances of conductive hearing loss or deafness occurring in the outer ear. Such cases can be treated effectively and greatly reduce tinnitus or hearing loss. In case the hearing loss is limited to the outer or middle ear (not including the inner ear), it can be treated through surgery.
- Cochlear implants: In case of total deafness, advanced treatment with cochlear implants is possible. These electronic devices can be surgically implanted in the ear.
When young children or infants experience tinnitus, they also have chances of complete hearing loss. Infants may also be born with permanent deafness. Ear infection in infants can also cause tinnitus or any other symptoms of hearing loss. Some points to treat deafness in infants or to help them fight against tinnitus or loss of hearing include:
- In case of any internal structural defects, surgery can work well for infants.
- Medicines can treat ear infections. This helps in reducing tinnitus and hearing loss. Ear tubes can also treat tinnitus and other problems in hearing caused due to infection.
- Cochlear implants in infants and children can help treat deafness.
- These possible treatment options can effectively treat tinnitus and deafness.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.