Among skin conditions, ringworm is one of the most seen skin diseases. It occurs on the skin surface as red spots, itchy ring shaped rashes, or inflamed patches. This skin disease is caused by a fungal parasite. Antifungal creams are prescribed as the most common treatment for this skin disease to treat itchy rashes causes by the fungal parasite. Ringworm, medically termed tinea, can transfer from one person to another and from animals to humans.
Symptoms of Ringworm
The common symptoms of ringworm, the skin disease caused by a fungal parasite, can be arranged in the following way.
- Ringworm causes small swellings or bulging of the infected portion of the skin as red, itchy round spots.
- Symptoms may also be varied itchy reddish rashes or patches on the skin caused due to the fungal parasite.
- With the gradual growth of the skin disease or fungal infection of the skin, the red patch fades from the center, obtaining a ring like appearance on the skin surface as the outline of the infected area.
- Symptoms of ringworm or this particular skin disease such as itchy rashes may also include dry, rough hair, or even hair loss. This is so because the parasite also infects hair and nails.
- Symptoms of itching and flaky rashes may appear in the scalp and nails.
Treatment for Ringworm and its Symptoms
It may be visible as the red rash or the itchy round patches on the skin, or as dry hair, or brittle nails, every symptom of the skin disease caused by the ringworm fungal parasites needs treatment. The most frequent treatment options include topical creams and oral medications.
Let us briefly discuss the various treatments available for this skin disease:
- Treatment using medication or drugs: Primary treatment for this skin disease is medications that treat various symptoms. These vary based on the level of ringworm infection caused by the parasite. For the red itchy rashes and patches in skin or in hair, scalp, or nails, various medicines and creams/lotions can control the symptoms of the parasite causing the skin disease. Some medication-based treatments include Medendazole, Albdendazole, Ivermectin, and Thiabendazole. Apart from these prescribed medicines for treatment of symptoms of red itchy rashes on the skin caused by the parasite causing ringworm, painkillers help to reduce the itchy skin and pain caused by the infection. Oral iron pills are recommended as an additional treatment for controlling the symptoms.
- Treatment via surgery: There may be a rare requirement of surgery as a treatment for skin disease caused by the roundworm parasite in case the infection starts interrupting the proper functioning of intestines and other internal organs. The infection caused by Guinea worms, another skin disease usually requires surgical removal.
- Proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle can improve treatment: Nutrition and dietary supplements are necessary for good health. Good health is necessary to prevent infection. Turmeric in the diet can prevent skin disease and infection. Green leafy vegetables, olive oil, and warm tea are also helpful in safeguarding the skin from parasite attacks. It is advisable to avoid caffeine and alcohol for improved skin health. Multivitamins and other supplements are also advised for aiding health, along with regular exercise.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.