“Quit smoking or die trying.” People addicted to tobacco rely on this strong quote for support.
There are many reasons to quit. Until one makes the decision to stop using nicotine, no one can stop. However, if a smoker decides to quit nicotine, there are many tips and ways to stop.
If you want to find the ways to quit, one of the most popular ways to help you quit the use of nicotine is nicotine-replacement therapy. This is a prime technique of any rehab center or smoking cessation as a way to help you quit nicotine. This uses substitutes or nicotine replacement products like gums, patches, and sprays that aid the endeavor of quitting or help stop smoking. Nicotine is something addictive. Nicotine-replacement therapy is a major way to prevent the dangers of lung cancer, stroke, and respiratory problems. This tip has around 25 percent success rate. When this therapy is blended with intensive behavioral counseling (another way to stop), the success rate rises to around 40 percent.
Tips on How to Stop
This list of various tips needs to be followed to stop.
- Your bold statement on quitting: This is the first step in the list of various tips to stop this habit. You need to decide that you actually want to quit. For this, you can make your own smoking-cessation plan, which begins with the fixing of a date to begin rehabilitation therapy or a stop-smoking program. Various other steps included in this are speaking with friends and relatives about your decision to find support for the entire process, understanding the various problems you might face after you quit using nicotine. It also helps to speak with experts for professional help.
- Identify the triggers for your addiction: There are underlying reasons for this habit. It is necessary to identify the triggers that underlie being addicted to nicotine. Therefore, among the various ways to stop, this is one of the important ways to quit. In case you drink alcohol, chances of smoking while drinking are high. It is also found that if your friends are smokers, you smoke with them. Therefore, alcohol and smoker friends are two most important triggers to avoid for quitting.
- Changing lifestyle and manage cigarette cravings: Changing your lifestyle can help you distract the mind from nicotine addiction or smoking. This is a highly beneficial tip to help you stop smoking. For this, have regular small meals in a day or eat fruits after your meal to prevent you from smoking after the meal. You can use chewing gums to help you get over a nicotine addiction. Another tip included in managing cigarette cravings is to walk and do heavy exercise. Another way to stop smoking is to visit public places where smoking is prohibited.
- Medication therapy as a major way to stop: Using smoking cessation medications can help you in quitting. Consulting a doctor for identifying the right anti-smoking drug for you is one of the crucial tips. The next tip to follow is to undergo nicotine replacement therapy from a professional stop-smoking program or rehab center.
- Alternative methods: Acupuncture, behavioral change therapy, and motivational therapy are some other ways.
Following the above listed tips can help you get over a nicotine addiction.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.