Do you often experience a burning sensation in your food pipe before or after eating food? This may be heartburn caused by acid reflux from the stomach, and may lead to a condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Symptoms of acid reflux and GERD include:
- Burning sensation in the food pipe
- Chest pain
- Bitter taste
- Hoarseness of voice
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
These symptoms of acid reflux and GERD push people to opt for a heartburn relief medicine.
GERD, Acid Reflux, and Heartburn Relief Medicines
- Antacids: Antacids are used as quick-relief medicines for heartburn and acid reflux in the case of mild GERD. The following relief medicines work by neutralizing the acid that causes acid reflux, heartburn, and GERD.
- Proton pump inhibitors: These antibiotic medicines are prescribed to provide relief from the symptoms of heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD.
Common relief medicines to treat GERD and acid reflux symptoms are:
Common side effects of these heartburn relief medicines include:
- Addiction with prolonged use
- Weight gain
- Reduced calcium and mineral absorption
- Histamine type 2 receptor antagonist medicines: These relief medicines reduce the level of acid production in the stomach, thus preventing GERD, acid reflux and heartburn.
- Famotidine containing medicines: Calmicid, Pepcid, Fluxid, Mylanta
- Nizatidine containing heartburn medicines: Axid, Axid AR
- Ranitidine containing acid reflux medicines: Zantac, Tritec, Wal-Zan
- Cimetidine containing GERD medicines: Tagamet
These medicines, however, alter the natural acid production and metabolism. Headache, constipation, diarrhea, and nausea are some of the common symptoms caused by these medicines for GERD, acid reflux, and heartburn relief.
- Natural heartburn relief medicines: Natural relief medicines help counter symptoms of heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD. Organic cidar vinegar, cayenne pepper, and baking soda can provide relief from heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD symptoms. Eating raw and fermented foods helps improve the condition.
Even avoiding alcohol, carbonated drinks, citrus fruits, and peppermint provides relief in acid reflux and GERD symptoms.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.