Head lice are tiny parasites that live on the human head. Head lice feed on the scalp several times in a day. Head lice lay eggs and reproduce. They can spread when a person is in contact with another person who has head lice. It hardly takes seconds for head lice to run from one head to another. Head lice are not dangerous and not a sign of poor hygiene. Head lice are unlikely to get transferred through brushes and combs as they do not transfer viable eggs.
Lice eggs are very tiny and difficult to see, especially the newly laid eggs that are attached to the scalp. The eggs are tightly held by the hair shaft. These eggs do not fall off until weeks after they get hatched.
Treatment of Head Lice
Lice treatment may not stop at once. One may need to repeat the treatment after seven days to get rid of the lice eggs. Some of the treatment methods and remedies that are helpful to get rid of lice are as follows:
- Combing in the morning and evening regularly by slightly wetting the hair with spray can help in lice treatment. It can help in detecting lice and getting rid of the infestation. A special fine-toothed comb can be helpful.
- Application of an oil is helpful for the treatment of lice. Using herbal oils like tea tree oil, almond oil, and olive oil is an effective treatment to get rid of lice. Reapplying the oils frequently and then rinsing off is helpful. Wash hair with shampoo and then comb.
- Lice shampoos are specially made for the treatment of lice and can work well. Shampoos may not work as well as medicated lotions but can be helpful in getting rid of the lice.
- Dimeticone is a silicon-based treatment that helps get rid of lice. Head lice do not become resistant to dimeticone as compared to chemical insecticides.
- Head lice repellants are available in the form of oil and spray. They are useful remedies to get rid of lice. The fragrance of the oil or spray can keep the lice away.
- Application of lice medicine can be a useful lice treatment. Read the instructions on the label properly and use as directed. Pay attention to how long the medication is to be left on the hair to get rid of lice and then how to wash it off.
- Medicated lotion can help in the treatment of lice. A spray or a medicated lotion is one of the alternative remedies that can help get rid of lice. It can be found easily at a pharmacy. Some medical products are effective in killing eggs and getting rid of lice. Take the one prescribed by a health care practitioner.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.