"The Hangover" series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide; apparently people love to watch guys who drink too much too quickly and make horrible decisions.
So perhaps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recent announcement that 38 million American adults binge-drink around four times a month (downing eight drinks per binge) shouldn't surprise us.
But it does worry us.
While a sip o' the grape may be good for you, too much alcohol is toxic.
Just recently, the CDC reported that six Americans die every day from alcohol poisoning. Seventy-five percent of them are white guys 34-65 years old. Only around 30 percent of those who die are alcoholics; the rest are bingers who got too far over the line.
Alcohol is a poison that the liver must filter out of the blood. Take in too much, too quickly, and the liver cannot do its job. Then areas of the brain that control breathing, heart rate and body temperature can be seriously depressed.
So here's what to do if you see one of your friends bingeing, acting confused, passing in and out of awareness, having difficulty breathing, vomiting and cold clammy skin: Try to keep 'em awake; if your pal passes out, position the person on his or her side, not the back; then call 911.
Don't think, "Hey, they'll sleep it off."
Remember: Drinking one glass of wine a day for women and one to two for men protects the heart and increases longevity.
Drink moderately, and you'll stick around to enjoy more good times with friends.
© 2015 Michael Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet Oz, M.D.
Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
Posts by Dr. Mehmet Oz, M.D. and Dr. Mike Roizen, M.D.
© King Features Syndicate