Directing your mind away from stress-related brain-damaging neural activity toward more mindful, relaxed, and brain-protective states doesn’t take a lot of time and can be done very effectively with meditation, yoga, and other stress-reduction exercises.
Try the following exercise for a quick mindfulness boost:
• Get comfortable in a chair, place your feet on the floor, pointing slightly outward.
• Rest your hands on your thighs with your palms facing up.
• Let yourself settle and gently close your eyes.
• Take several deep, slow breaths in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Try to feel how the air feels cool as you breath in, and warm as you exhale.
• Feel your body relax as your mind grows peaceful.
• Continue inhaling and exhaling for another five minutes and concentrate on your breathing.
• If your mind wanders, gently bring your attention back to your breathing.
• Open your eyes slowly and notice if you feel more relaxed and present in the moment.
© 2023 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.