Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
Drs. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen
Dr. Mehmet Oz is host of the popular TV show “The Dr. Oz Show.” He is a professor in the Department of Surgery at Columbia University and directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

Dr. Mike Roizen is chief medical officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, an award-winning author, and has been the doctor to eight Nobel Prize winners and more than 100 Fortune 500 CEOs.

Dr. Mehmet Oz,Dr. Mike Roizen

Tags: dr. oz | shift work | stress

Reducing the Health Risks of Shift Work

Dr. Mehmet Oz, M.D. and Dr. Mike Roizen, M.D. By Friday, 03 April 2020 12:17 PM Current | Bio | Archive

On the social media site Reddit, shift workers share war stories. One university IT specialist recalled being terrified by a bunch of lifelike dummies sitting on gurneys in a nursing school classroom. A late-night prison guard wrote about raccoons growling menacingly from the bushes. One restaurant worker recalled being frightened by the sounds coming into his headset at a drive-thru, only to find out it was a burger-hungry night owl.

Clearly, shift work isn't for the faint of heart.

It may not be good for the heart, either. A study published in the Journal of Osteopathic Medicine found that 9% of shift workers – compared to 1.8% of the general population – develop metabolic syndrome, characterized by elevated blood pressure and blood sugar, excess body fat and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels

That can cause heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

Shift work may also lead to sleep and mental disorders, infertility, and increased risk of certain cancers.

Why? Because it disrupts hormones regulating your circadian rhythm (body clock). Plus, working nonstandard hours may lead to unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Fortunately, you can ease the risks by doing these things:

  • Keep the same sleep and wake times on days off.
  • Eat minimally processed foods, whole grains, and lean proteins.
  • Limit your eating to eight hours out of 24. Eat 75% or more of your calories eight hours before you plan to go to bed, and the remaining 25% three hours before bedtime.
  • Get 150 minutes of exercise weekly.
  • Use a sunrise alarm clock that wakes you with progressive light, emulating a natural dawn.

© King Features Syndicate

Shift work isn't for the faint of heart.
dr. oz, shift work, stress
Friday, 03 April 2020 12:17 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
Find Your Condition
Get Newsmax Text Alerts

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved